Sunday, June 27, 2010

Quiet Sunday Scenes

Hi, folks. From Eppstein, Germany, I give you a peaceful village scene.


Eppstein lies west of Frankfurt at the edge of the Taunus mountains. The sender of this card said she loves to go walking in the woods outside the village. The old city center of Eppstein contains the ruins of the Eppstein Castle, first mentioned in 1122 (in one of the earliest known blog posts).


This is the Lutheran Cathedral in downtown Helsinki, Finland, probably one of the most famous buildings in Finland.  It receives over 350,000 visitors a year. This church was built as a tribute to Nicholas I, the Tsar of Russia, and was completed in 1852.  When Finland achieved its independence in 1917, the church was no longer called St. Nicholas' Church. 

Somehow I can't look at this photo without seeing Sylvester Stallone running up the steps and raising his arms in triumph at the top.

The mention of Russian Tsars brings to mind the book "Nicholas and Alexandra" by Robert K. Massie. I highly recommend it. I think it's time for me to read it again - it was that good.

Nicholas and Alexandra

No comments: