Saturday, June 26, 2010

Eye Candy

Today I'm sharing with you (or forcing upon you, depending on your point of view) some more of the beautiful art cards I've received from around the world.  I hope you enjoy them.

First, from Finland, an intriguing painting by Raija Nokkala.


I haven't been able so far to find out anything about this painter and, not knowing Finnish, I don't know what the title "Suojelija" means.  Can anyone enlighten me?  (Yes, I am now begging for comments.)


This card actually came from Germany, but the lovely fräulein above was created by Japanese artist Utagawa Kuniyoshi (1797-1861).  The title is "Young woman holding a fan". (My guess was "Young woman chewing a large rice cracker while being attacked by space noodles".) This woodblock print is now in a collection in The Netherlands. A card from Germany showing a Japanese artwork from a Dutch collection. I think this is a good example of globalization.


Now, two cards from the U.S. The first by Amedeo Modigliani (1884-1920) is titled "The Cellist".  


This was painted in 1909.  If the young man continued his practicing, he must be quite good by now.


And finally, by the French Impressionist Berthe Morisot (1841-1895), "Hanging the Laundry out to Dry", painted in 1875.


Berthe was supposed to be helping with the laundry, but instead was upstairs playing with her paints. Lucky for us, huh?


Berthe Morisot101 Great Samurai PrintsAmedeo ModiglianiImpressionist Quartet: The Intimate Genius of Manet and Morisot, Degas and Cassatt

No comments: