Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Best Frog of June announced!

A Zen moment. Never make plans because nothing works out quite like you imagine. It's best to just be spontaneous, except in the case of combustion.

Upon awakening this morning I decided to spend the day reading. Something frothy and mindless, with no redeeming qualities. It is now after 3 pm and I haven't read a word. Instead, I have been engrossed in laundry, swapping CDs on the internet and doing various other essential and non-essential "stuff" on my computer.

And then there was that delicious, but very limp, pizza at lunch. It's hard to read while eating pizza when the slices hang vertically when held. It was definitely a two-handed pizza.

Now here I am writing a blog entry. Yes, I will read later.  For sure. Or maybe tomorrow.

This will be a spontaneous blog posting. I have planned nothing so as not to disappoint myself. It will be a surprise for all of us.

Look! It's a post card of an old British book cover. I haven't read this book but if it's about time and wrinkles, I am pretty ticked off at both and don't really want to read about them.

Although June is not over yet, I have already chosen this month's "Best Frog Of The Month". You can see he was pretty certain he would win and so just went ahead and crowned himself.

Here's a state capitol for you: Topeka, Kansas. Topeka means "to dig good potatoes" in the languages of the Kansa and the Ioway. Really.

What interests me about this card is the shape of the state of Kansas. Perfectly rectangular except for the far northeast corner. It's like someone plowed into the cartographer just as he was finishing his rectangle and made him mad so he just left it that way. Perhaps he was drawing the map in a rowdy saloon. Maybe the map had beer spilled all over it. There may be another reason for the wiggleys but I like this one.

This card is called "The Many Hats of Seattle". I don't know. I've been to Seattle several times and I've never seen people like this. It's very common in Portland, of course, but not Seattle.

A popular spectator sport in Montana: watching bears chase joggers. Go Bears!

I'm going to end today with this very interesting aboriginal art from Australia.  Uh-oh, I feel another "art card" post coming soon.


No comments: