Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I'll see your two ducks and raise you a frog

I've received so many great cards in the mail lately and it's about time I showed you some of them!

I'm going to start with a beautiful art card I received just today from Danielle in Omaha. This is an 1864 painting entitled "Caprice in Purple and Gold No. 2: The Golden Screen", by James McNeill Whistler. His most famous painting is "Arrangement in Grey and Black No. 1", better known as "Whistler's Mother". His mother offered to pose for "Caprice" as well, but James decided on a younger model. Once his mom got down on the floor, she had a heck of a time getting back up.


I've never actually seen any large dinosaur skeletons like these at the Smithsonian, but it must be amazing to stand underneath one and look up - and realize those creatures really did exist. I'll bet they really went through the kibble.


Speaking of old dinosaurs, take a look at this "Colossus Computer" that was operational at Bletchley Park, England during WWII. This is the computer that was used to break the famous German "Enigma" code. I sure am glad computers have gotten a lot smaller. This would definitely not have fit in my office.


So what's this duck and frog stuff anyway? Well, it was a great week because I got TWO cards with illustrations by Kaj Stenvall. I just love his ducks!



And finally, such a frog I have for you! This guy's had too much caffeine, I think.


I still have lots more to show you, so come back soon!

No comments: