Monday, June 18, 2007

I wish I'd thought of that.....

I love words. Words are fun. Where would we be without words? (I was so tempted to end this right here.)

Which is why I love Word Imperfect. What a great idea! The author posts a new, obscure word each day, then ..... and this is the fun part ....... readers are invited to make up their own definitions of the word and post them as comments. Some of these are brilliant and very funny. (Some are boring, but they go by fast.) Readers can vote on which invented meaning they like best. The correct definition of the word is then revealed. An altogether excellent idea for a blog and I am sooooo jealous that I didn't come up with it first.

Wouldn't it be funny if Noah Webster put all the wrong definitions in when he wrote the first dictionary and we've now gotten used to all the incorrect meanings? Maybe a "sink" is a large over-stuffed chair. Makes more sense, doesn't it?

No comments: